Re: [pgAdmin4][RM#3271] Update to the latest 3.x version of jQuery

From: Joao De Almeida Pereira <jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][RM#3271] Update to the latest 3.x version of jQuery
Date: 2018-05-23 14:11:58
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

HI Aditya,

Good job porting the app from the ancient version of JQuery to the latest
build :D

The patch in general looks good, and the patches-bot says all tests pass.

The only thing that we would like to point out is this piece of code:

/* jQuery has removed selector property in version 3.x
* To allow JS test cases to run, the below function is
* used to set the selector property
*/
function setPropAndSelector(selector, propName, propVal) {
let tmpObj = $(selector);
tmpObj['selector'] = selector;
tmpObj.prop(propName,propVal);
return tmpObj;
}

As tests are also part of the code we believe that when there is a change
that affect testing we should change the tests to work accordingly. So our
suggestion is, instead of creating this function, why don’t we use a CSS
selector in the tests to do the clicking or even use the HTML5 tag
data-test-selector?
This way the tests will also be coherent with the upgrade from JQuery 1 to 3

Thanks
Victoria & Joao