Streaming replication question

From: Mark Steben <mark(dot)steben(at)drivedominion(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Streaming replication question
Date: 2019-08-03 13:35:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

Good morning,
We run postgres 9.4. Early Saturday morning we had a production postgres
outage because our pg_xlog directory ran out of space. Tracing the cause
points to a scheduled reboot of the 3 database servers by our IT team to
install some monitoring software. Because we did a simple stop/restart of
the database our replication slots did not get reset and pg_logs queued up
until the out-of-space condition

Can someone please verify that the following WOULD HAVE BEEN the
appropriate action:
(Or offer corrections)
1. Stop the postgres database (on both slaves)
2. Run pg_drop_replication_slot (rep1, rep2 slotnames) (on Master)
3. Stop the postgres database (on master)
4. Reboot Linux Server to bring in monitoring software
5. Start the postgres database (on master)
6. Run pg_create_replication_slot (rep1, rep2 slotnames) (On Master)
7. Start the postgres database (on both slaves)

Thank you

--
*Mark Steben*
Database Administrator