amount of WAL logs larger than expected

From: Mark Steben <mark(dot)steben(at)drivedominion(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: amount of WAL logs larger than expected
Date: 2016-05-09 18:23:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Good afternoon

We run postgres 9.2.12 and run vacuum on a 540GB database.

I've attached a 'show all' for your reference. With CHECkPOINT_SEGMENTS
set at 128
and CHECKPOINT_COMPLETION_TARGET set at 0.9 I wouldn't expect the number of
logs in pg_xlog to creep much over 400. But when we run vacuum, the number
can climb to over 5000 and threatens to blow out on space. Is there
something else I should be looking at causing this unexpected number of
logs?

Our server is also master for a slony1.2.2.3 slave and also to a hot
standby server.

Any insight /recommendations welcome. Thank you

--
*Mark Steben*
Database Administrator

www.fb.com/DominionDealerSolutions
www.twitter.com/DominionDealer
www.drivedominion.com <http://www.autorevenue.com/>

<http://autobasedigital.net/marketing/DD12_sig.jpg>

Attachment Content-Type Size
prime.show.all.may09.txt text/plain 34.2 KB