Fwd: Syncing sql extension versions with shared library versions

From: Mat Arye <mat(at)timescaledb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: Syncing sql extension versions with shared library versions
Date: 2017-07-24 21:51:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(adding -hackers back into thread, got dropped by my email client, sorry)

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Mat Arye <mat(at)timescaledb(dot)com> writes:
> > I tried looking in the contrib modules and didn't find many with lots of
> > planner hook usage.
>
> I'm not really sure why planner hooks would have anything to do with your
> exposed SQL API?

Sorry what I meant was i'd like to package different versions of my
extension -- both .sql and .c --
and have the extension act consistently for any version until I do a ALTER
EXTENSION UPDATE.
So, I'd prefer a DB with an older extension to have the logic/code in the
hook not change even if I install a newer version's .so for use in another
database
(but don't update the extension to the newer version). Does that make any
sense?

> You will need to have separate builds of your extension for each PG
> release branch you work with; we force that through PG_MODULE_MAGIC
> whether you like it or not. But that doesn't translate to needing
> different names for the library .so files. Generally people either
> mantain separate source code per-branch (just as the core code does)
> or put in a lot of #ifs testing CATALOG_VERSION_NO to see which
> generation of PG they're compiling against.

Yeah we plan to use different branches for different PG versions.