Re: pg_dump from a hot standby replication slave

From: Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
To: Johan Thomsen <johan(at)cellpointmobile(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump from a hot standby replication slave
Date: 2016-06-21 01:34:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016, 4:03 a.m. Johan Thomsen, <johan(at)cellpointmobile(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In relation to this thread:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/0B4197B9-5DB8-4475-A83C-38DA5965782A%40etasseo.com
>
> > I ran the pg_dump process again this morning, ensuring that the standby
> > parameters were set, and it completed successfully with the
> > hot_standby_feedback enabled.
>
> In case I were to set the hot_standby_feedback param to "on" at my
> slave node for the _only_ reason that I would like to make a dump of a
> database while replication is running, how would it affect the primary
> node performance-wise?

In my understanding it might create some bloats but those should get
cleaned eventually.
Though I think if you are using standby for read purpose, this parameter
should be kept on.

> Worth mentioning: I do not require the dumped data to be highly
> up-to-date, I just need a static snapshot, knowing perfectly well that
> data is updated continuously while dumping.
>
> Are there perhaps other ways to perform a dump of a hot standby node
> without affecting the primary node performance and without stopping or
> pausing the replication?

Are you using archiving as well?
Consider using pg_basebackup to take physical backup of the standby.

Version: postgres (PostgreSQL) 9.2.2