Re: How to know server status variable in postgresql?

From: Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
To: ambilalmca <ambilalmca(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General Discussion Forum <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to know server status variable in postgresql?
Date: 2014-01-09 07:19:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM, ambilalmca <ambilalmca(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I want to collect,
>
> *Connections. *
>
> Current connections. The number of currently open connections.
> Connections executing requests. The number of currently open connections
> that are executing requests.
> Idle connections. The number of currently idle connections.
> Max connections. The maximum number of concurrent connections to the
> database server.
> Used connections. Connections used as a percentage of maximum connections.
>
> *Buffers. *
>
> Shared buffers size. Current size of shared buffers.
> Disk cache size. Current size of disk cache buffer.
> Sort buffer size. Current size of sort buffer.
> Work buffer size. Current size of working requests buffer.
> Temp buffer size. Current size of temporary buffer.
>
> *IO Requests.*
>
> Blocks read. Number of blocks directly read on disk.
> For optimal performance this value should be the smallest possible. If the
> database has to execute too many disk accesses, performance will suffer.
> Index blocks read. Number of index blocks directly read on disk.
> % Index blocks read. Percentage of index blocks directly read on disk.
> Sequence blocks read. Number of sequence blocks directly read on disk.
>
> *Cache*
> Blocks read. Number of cached blocks read.
> Index blocks read. Number of cached index blocks read.
> % Index blocks read. Percentage of cached index blocks read.
> For optimal performance, this value must be as large as possible. If an
> insufficient number of index blocks are declared in the table, it could
> negatively impact the database server performance.
> Sequence blocks read. Number of cached sequence blocks read.

> Index read. Number of reads initiated by an index.
> Indexed rows read. Number of rows read by indexed requests.
> Indexed rows fetched. Number of live rows fetched by indexed requests.
>
> *Command Rates.*
>
> Rows read. Number of rows read.
> Rows fetched. Number of rows fetched.
> Inserted rows. Number of rows inserted.
> Updated rows. Number of rows updated.
> Deleted rows. Number of rows deleted.
> Committed transactions. Number of committed transactions.
> This value should be relatively stable, indicating that there are no
> performance-reducing load peaks. If applications do not commit often
> enough,
> it will lead to an overload on the database server.
> Rolled back transactions. Number of transactions rolled back.
> % Rolledback transactions. Percentage of transactions rolled back.
>
> *Locks. *
>
> Locks waiting. Number of locks waiting.
> Locks held. Number of locks held.
> Process holding locks. Number of processes holding locks.
>
> how to collect these details by using query. now i find queries for
> sonnections. but i dont know anout others. please help me(dot)(at)Sameer Kumar

Are you building your own scripts for monitoring the database?
Are are open source plug-ins available for that. Anyways, take a look at
this documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/monitoring-stats.html

You will find most of the things you have asked for (I guess all of it). If
you are not able to find something then you can post here.