Re: Undetected Deadlock

From: Michael Harris <harmic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Undetected Deadlock
Date: 2022-02-09 23:50:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 at 09:57, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Do you want to try this and see if it actually adds any robustness with your buggy code?

Sorry for the delayed response, & thanks for the patch.

I wasn't able to test with our actual application because it could
take days for it to actually trigger the problem, so I tested it with
a simulation, which you can find here:

https://github.com/harmic/pg_almloss

With that simulation I could attach gdb to the backend and see that
signal_pending & signal_due_at were being reset in the expected way,
even when a missed interrupt was triggered.

I'm convinced your patch improves robustness under the scenario we saw.

Thanks again!

Cheers
Mike