Installing PostgreSQL as non-root by Extracting the binaries from RPMs

From: Thiagarajan Lakshminarayanan <thiagu1997(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Installing PostgreSQL as non-root by Extracting the binaries from RPMs
Date: 2018-05-21 14:23:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

In our environment, our standard RHEL OS install comes with all the
PostgreSQL required packages / libraries installed. So, can I just extract
the binaries from PostgreSQL RPMs via rpm2cpio and create a tar file and
install it as non-root user in an alternate location? I tested the above
approach, created a new PostgreSQL instance and it is working fine. Please
let me know if there would be any issues with the above approach?

Thanks
Raj