Re: BUG #18171: Dropping an index on a partitioned table drops all child indices even with a restrict

From: Nicholas Dujay <nickdujay(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18171: Dropping an index on a partitioned table drops all child indices even with a restrict
Date: 2023-10-26 16:17:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I first observed this on a production system running 15.3. I've re-run the
tests on 15.4 locally and produced the same result.

I realize in my original email that I didn't put restrict, so I've added
restrict and confirmed that the child indices are dropped.

postgres=# drop index parent_id_index restrict;
DROP INDEX

Would you consider this an unimplemented feature then, instead of a bug? If
so, i'll repost in general.