Re: Adding visual clues that accesskey exists

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding visual clues that accesskey exists
Date: 2023-01-18 21:49:02
Lists: pgsql-docs

> I agree that hot key discoverability could be better, but I don't think
> this is an issue in the PostgreSQL documentation; it's something the
> browser should handle. The job of the HTML markup is to declare the key
> -- then it's up to the browser how to present it. Otherwise, every
> single web page in the world (well, those with hot keys) would have to
> repeat this analysis, which seems on the wrong level to me.

I agree that that's a thing that browsers *should* be doing, but presently
none are (as far as I know), and the history of web development has many
examples of websites having to write crutches for deficient browsers so
that their users can have a decent experience, with the definition of
decent experience shifting over time.

Attached is a patch to add the nav- tags to the header (could just as
easily have done the footer) for up/down/left/right and the javascript to
find those ids and simulate a click. I've tested this on chrome (where
accesskeys work with alt+ ) and firefox (where accesskeys don't seem to
work at all) and it works as expected in both places. The javascript itself
is rather naive, but serves as a starting point for discussion.

In researching accesskey, I've noticed that the accesskey="t" stylesheet
section doesn't get rendered in our html anywhere. Was "t" = "table of
contents"? Seems like something we could delete until we need it again.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Add-javascript-to-enable-up-next-previous-navigat.patch text/x-patch 3.1 KB