Re: Statistics Import and Export

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Statistics Import and Export
Date: 2024-04-05 01:30:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> For a partitioned table this value has to be true. For a normal table when
> setting this value to true, it should at least make sure that the table has
> at least one child. Otherwise it should throw an error. Blindly accepting
> the given value may render the statistics unusable. Prologue of the
> function needs to be updated accordingly.

I can see rejecting non-inherited stats for a partitioned table. The
reverse, however, isn't true, because a table may end up being inherited by
another, so those statistics may be legit. Having said that, a great deal
of the data validation I was doing was seen as unnecessary, so I' not sure
where this check would fall on that line. It's a trivial check if we do add
it.