Re: Statistics Import and Export

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Statistics Import and Export
Date: 2023-08-31 21:18:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Thanks. I think this may be used with postgres_fdw to import
> statistics directly from the foreigns server, whenever possible,
> rather than fetching the rows and building it locally. If it's known
> that the stats on foreign and local servers match for a foreign table,
> we will be one step closer to accurately estimating the cost of a
> foreign plan locally rather than through EXPLAIN.

Yeah, that use makes sense as well, and if so then postgres_fdw would
likely need to be aware of the appropriate query for several versions back
- they change, not by much, but they do change. So now we'd have each query
text in three places: a system view, postgres_fdw, and the bin/scripts
pre-upgrade program. So I probably should consider the best way to share
those in the codebase.