Re: Configure with thread sanitizer fails the thread test

From: Mikhail Matrosov <mikhail(dot)matrosov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, ewan_higgs(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Configure with thread sanitizer fails the thread test
Date: 2021-07-23 21:43:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Alvaro and all,

> this patch hasn't been posted by the author so let's assume
> they're not authorizing them to use it.

Not sure what you mean. I am the author and I authorize anyone to do
whatever they want with it.

> Otherwise, why wouldn't they just post it here instead of doing the
absurdly convoluted dance of a github PR?

Well, for me submitting a github PR is a well-established and easy-to-do
procedure which is the same for all libraries. Posting to a new mailing
list definitely is not. I've spent around 15 minutes trying to do a proper
reply to the thread and did not succeed.

Another reason to post a PR is that we consume libpq via conan, and
releasing a new revision of the conan recipe for the same library version
is a relatively fast and well-defined process. While waiting for a new
version of a library with a patch depends heavily on a particular library.
I am not aware of the release cadence of libpq.

Anyway, I am very glad there is swift feedback from you guys and I am
looking forward to your comments on the proper way to fix the issue!

-----
Best regards, Mikhail Matrosov