"could not split GIN page; no new items fit"

From: Chris Curvey <chris(at)chriscurvey(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: "could not split GIN page; no new items fit"
Date: 2015-04-04 00:57:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Hmm, I'm trying to create a gin index, thusly:

create index foo_idx on foo using gin(entry gin_trgm_ops);

and I'm getting the error "could not split GIN page; no new items fit"

Any idea what this means, or how I can get around it? The table in
question has about 23MM rows, if that makes any difference. The only
reference that search engines returned was the source code.

select version()

PostgreSQL 9.4.1 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Ubuntu
4.9.1-16ubuntu6) 4.9.1, 64-bit

-Chris

--
If money can fix it, it's not a problem. - Tom Magliozzi