Re: "could not split GIN page; no new items fit"

From: Chris Curvey <chris(at)chriscurvey(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "could not split GIN page; no new items fit"
Date: 2015-04-04 13:38:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 9:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Chris Curvey <chris(at)chriscurvey(dot)com> writes:
> > Hmm, I'm trying to create a gin index, thusly:
> > create index foo_idx on foo using gin(entry gin_trgm_ops);
>
> > and I'm getting the error "could not split GIN page; no new items fit"
>
> > Any idea what this means, or how I can get around it?
>
> Looks to me like a bug (ie, the code seems to think this is a can't-happen
> case). Don't suppose you could supply sample data that triggers this?
>
> regards, tom lane

I can! I just copied the data to a new table, obfuscated the sensitive
parts, and was able to reproduce the error. I can supply the script to
create and populate the table, but that's still clocking in at 250Mb after
being zipped. What's the best way of getting this data out to someone who
can take a look at this? (Feel free to contact me off-list to coordinate.)

-Chris

--
If money can fix it, it's not a problem. - Tom Magliozzi