replacing a subquery with an outer join?

From: Chris Curvey <chris(at)chriscurvey(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: replacing a subquery with an outer join?
Date: 2011-07-22 01:20:21
Lists: pgsql-general

in an earlier thread, the following query was submitted:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM q
> WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1
> FROM t AS t
> WHERE t.mid = q.mid);

and as part of his answer, David Johnson responded

3. Also, you are using a correlated sub-query instead of a LEFT OUTER JOIN

This interests me. How would you rewrite the correlated subquery above
using the outer join?

--
e-Mail is the equivalent of a postcard written in pencil. This message may
not have been sent by me, or intended for you. It may have been read or