How to introspect autovacuum analyze settings

From: Benedikt Grundmann <bgrundmann(at)janestreet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to introspect autovacuum analyze settings
Date: 2016-11-21 13:44:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

I have a quick question. I feel like somewhere in section 23.1.6 there
should be the answer but I couldn't find it yet. Namely how can I query
the database for total number of tuples inserted, updated, or deleted since
the last ANALYZE? pg_stat_user_tables.n_tup_{ins,upd,del,hot_upd} seems to
not reset after an analyze[1]. But clearly the database has that knowledge
somewhere persistent because otherwise how could autovacuum do its thing.

Rationale for the question. I have the strong suspicion that for some of
our bigger tables autovacuum *analyze *is not hitting frequently enough
(even so we already much more aggressive settings than the default). So I
want to set some custom settings for those tables. But rather than doing
it manually for the one table I found I would much rather write a query
(ideally one taking any existing per table settings into account) that
tells me likely candidates for tweaking. But so far I fail to even get the
relevant data.

Cheers,

Bene

[1] At least it didn't when I just run analyze on a table explicitly.