Re: Regarding postgreSQL performance on DRAM

From: Rohan Kadekodi <kadekodirohan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net
Subject: Re: Regarding postgreSQL performance on DRAM
Date: 2019-02-20 21:50:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thank you for the insights regarding TOASTing!

I reduced the number of columns to 4, which makes my tuple size ~1KB.

With this, the compression overhead went away, but even now <25% of the
time is being spent in system calls when I analyze strace.

Perf tool shows that there is a non-trivial amount of time spent in
DropCachedPlan and AllocSetAlloc. Does this hint to some sort of caching
being done by PostgreSQL, and is there a way to disable this caching?

Any other insights would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance,
Rohan