logical replication on 9.6: replica configuration

From: Paul Costello <paulc1217(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: logical replication on 9.6: replica configuration
Date: 2019-05-13 03:51:06
Lists: pgsql-general

I need to create a read-only replica in AWS environment. I can't use
AWS/RDS built-in read replica functionaility due to security concerns, so
I'm tied to using logical replication, on postgres 9.6. How do I configure
a replica db to receive the contents of the replication slot on master?

I was able to get logical replication going with the following 2 commands:

SELECT pg_create_logical_replication_slot('test_slot', 'test_decoding');
pg_recvlogical -d test --slot test_slot --start -f - &

I'm very unclear on where to go from there to stand up a read-replica db.

Thanks,
Paul C.