Re: Does btrfs on Linux have a negative performance impact for PostgreSQL 13?

From: Marc Millas <marc(dot)millas(at)mokadb(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Simon Connah <simon(dot)n(dot)connah(at)protonmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does btrfs on Linux have a negative performance impact for PostgreSQL 13?
Date: 2021-04-26 12:47:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Bruce, everybody,

compression ?

I am currently working on a project to move an oracle db to postgres.
The db is 15 TB.
with Oracle compression it does use 5 TB of disk space.

If we cannot compress the whole thing, the project loses its economic base.
(added 10 TB for prod, 10TB for pre-prod, 10TB for testing dev, ...)

we do test zfs, and we will give a try to btrfs.

any suggestion ?

thanks

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect