Hot Standby and Foreign Tables

From: Tim Kane <tim(dot)kane(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Hot Standby and Foreign Tables
Date: 2013-07-18 14:15:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I'm currently playing a few ideas out in my head and wanted to see if this
was feasible. There may be some limitation I am not aware of.

I would like to create a foreign table into a hot standby instance using
FDW's. I appreciate that the hot standby is always going to be read-only,
and that foreign tables are currently read-only anyway.

Can anyone tell me if there is any reason this wouldn't work?

I'm unable to test it just yet as I've not setup replication, nor am I on a
recent enough postgres. yet. ;-)

While I'm at it, is there any facility (future?) to provide a *foreign* *
schema* variant - such that I could access an entire schema using FDW's?

Cheers,

Tim