Re: Alter domain type / avoiding table rewrite

From: Tim Kane <tim(dot)kane(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alter domain type / avoiding table rewrite
Date: 2019-04-16 16:18:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks everyone..

It seems that the first step:

old_type --> varchar(9)

still requires a table rewrite, while the reverse direction does not.

I'm curious about the performance implication of domain types, i expect
that cost is only at insert/update time? I guess we've been wearing that
cost up until now.

Adrian is correct - the intention for the DOMAIN with CHECK approach was to
allow flexibility moving forward, as the data set is particularly large...

I'm now thinking that since promotion to a larger size is a non-issue, and
domain type seems to be not quite the panacea I hoped, then the use of
varchar(n) is perhaps not so terrible!

Thanks for the advice/suggestions/discussion :)