Fetch zero result rows when executing a query?

From: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fetch zero result rows when executing a query?
Date: 2015-02-03 11:26:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't find any mention...

I'm working on the Npgsql, the .NET driver for PostgreSQL, and am trying to
find a way to execute a query but without fetching any rows. The Execute
message has a maximum result-row count, but zero is documented to mean
"fetch all rows".

The use case would be sending a query which might modify or might not (e.g.
UPDATE), but we know that the user is uninterested in any result row.

My current workaround is to specify maxrows=1, was wondering if I missed a
better alternative.

Thanks,

Shay