Re: PostgreSQL not setting OpenSSL session id context?

From: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL not setting OpenSSL session id context?
Date: 2017-08-04 04:22:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I tested the patch.

Doing SSL_CTX_set_session_cache_mode(context, SSL_SESS_CACHE_OFF) doesn't
have any effect whatsoever - I still have the same issue (session id
context uninitialized). I suspect session caching is an entirely different
feature from session tickets/RFC5077 (although it might still be a good
idea to disable).

Doing SSL_CTX_set_options(context, SSL_OP_NO_TICKET) indeed resolves the
issue, as expected. As I wrote above, I'd remove the #ifdef and execute it
always.

I'm still not convinced of the risk/problem of simply setting the session
id context as I explained above (rather than disabling the optimization),
but of course either solution resolves my problem.