Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup

From: Asif Rehman <asifr(dot)rehman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup
Date: 2019-12-10 14:34:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 12:57 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 3:38 AM Jeevan Chalke
> <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> > I am still not sure why we need SEND_BACKUP_FILELIST as a separate
> command.
> > Can't we return the file list with START_BACKUP itself?
>
> I had the same thought, but I think it's better to keep them separate.
> Somebody might want to use the SEND_BACKUP_FILELIST command for
> something other than a backup (I actually think it should be called
> just SEND_FILE_LIST)

Sure. Thanks for the recommendation. To keep the function names in sync, I
intend to do following the
following renamings:
- SEND_BACKUP_FILES --> SEND_FILES
- SEND_BACKUP_FILELIST --> SEND_FILE_LIST

. Somebody might want to start a backup without
> getting a file list because they're going to copy the files at the FS
> level. Somebody might want to get a list of files to process after
> somebody else has started the backup on another connection. Or maybe
> nobody wants to do any of those things, but it doesn't seem to cost us
> much of anything to split the commands, so I think we should.

+1

--
Asif Rehman
Highgo Software (Canada/China/Pakistan)