How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

From: Strahinja Kustudić <strahinjak(at)nordeus(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes
Date: 2014-09-30 23:51:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am automating Postgres deployment on Linux and I need to check if
Postgres needs to be restarted when a configuration parameter that requires
a restart changes, e.g. when you change wal_level. Is there a way to detect
a parameter which requires a restart was changed?

Reading the log file after sending SIGHUP is not possible to automate. I
know I can query pg_settings and then compare relevant parameters from the
conf file, but that means I will need to check all parameters which I set
and which require a restart. I only need to know if postgres requires a
restart.

Strahinja Kustudić | Lead System Engineer | Nordeus