REINDEX deadlock - Postgresql -9.1

From: Anoop K <anoopk6(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Venkatraju TV <venkatraju(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: REINDEX deadlock - Postgresql -9.1
Date: 2013-02-06 09:28:47
Lists: pgsql-general

We are hitting a situation where REINDEX is resulting in postgresql to go
to dead lock state* for ever*. On debugging the issue we found that
3 connections are going in to some dead lock state.

1. *idle in transaction *
2. *REINDEX waiting *
3. *SELECT waiting *

All these connections are made in the same minute. Once in deadlock state
we are not able to make new connections to db.(So not able to view pg_locks
also). New connections appears as '*startup waiting*' in ps output.
Initially we suspected <*idle in transaction> *is the result of not closing
a connection. But it seems it got stuck after creating a connection and is
not able to proceed.

Any clues ..

Thanks
Anoop