Re: JDBC 4 Compliance

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Bryan Varner <bvarner(at)polarislabs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC 4 Compliance
Date: 2013-06-24 19:02:09
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Bryan Varner <bvarner(at)polarislabs(dot)com>wrote:

> I would like to start it. I do realize that my lack of time is probably
>> paramount. But it needs to be solved.
>>

> I'll speak from my own experiences (XA Interleaving) and from watching the
> mailing list over the last few months. Keep in mind, these are my
> impressions, which are meant in no way to condemn, vilify, or point the
> finger at any individual. Rather, I think it points to some cultural
> pressures on the project as a whole.
>
> * There are currently six open pull requests [1], some of which date back
> 10 months. I can understand not merging a pull request. But things this old
> that aren't merged probably ought to be closed.

Fair enough although 2 of them are yours...

> * Initially when we contacted the list about implementing interleaving we
> got everything from (paraphrased) 'it's a good idea' to 'if you need it
> then you are doing it wrong'. Everything from our need for it to how we
> eventually implemented was ridiculed.

> * I finally took the time to jump through all the political hoops to clean
> up the pull request (I still don't understand how a visual diff on github
> is too hard to follow?!) I created a few months ago into two new pull
> requests. It's been 3 days, and there's be zero activity or comments on the
> requests. That seems odd. This is not a minor feature.

Well you posted it on a weekend, so I'd say 1 day really. As I mentioned I
do not have the technical ability to comment on it, I need to find someone
who does. Let me work on that

> * I got the distinct impression that this project consists of an 'old boys
> club' of developers who've worked on this project for a long time.
> Outsiders seem to be treated in an almost hostile manner.

Are you referring to the JDBC project or the postgresql project as a whole
?

> * A long-standing contributors misplaced emotional attachment to their
> code should not justify holding on to artifacts which go against logic,
> reason, and current best practices.
>

> * It seems as though the project is resistant to any form of code-change
> beyond a trivial bug fix to existing code. This seems like a release
> management failure more than anything.

I would have to agree large changes are difficult to consume as we don't
have the resources to review them, and the project is mainly in maintenance
mode.