Re: language cleanups in code and docs

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: language cleanups in code and docs
Date: 2020-06-17 00:31:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 19:55, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > On 6/15/20 2:22 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> >> 2) 'master' as a reference to the branch. Personally I be in favor of
> >> changing the branch name, but it seems like it'd be better done as a
> >> somewhat separate discussion to me, as it affects development
> >> practices to some degree.
>
> > I'm OK with this, but I would need plenty of notice to get the buildfarm
> > adjusted.
>
> "master" is the default branch name established by git, is it not? Not
> something we picked. I don't feel like we need to be out front of the
> rest of the world in changing that. It'd be a cheaper change than some of
> the other proposals in this thread, no doubt, but it would still create
> confusion for new hackers who are used to the standard git convention.

While it is the default I expect that will change soon. Github is planning
on making main the default.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/github-to-replace-master-with-alternative-term-to-avoid-slavery-references/

Many projects are moving from master to main.

I expect it will be less confusing than you think.

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks