Re: Pre-processing during build

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Christopher BROWN <brown(at)reflexe(dot)fr>
Cc: List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pre-processing during build
Date: 2015-06-18 15:10:42
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On 18 June 2015 at 10:56, Christopher BROWN <brown(at)reflexe(dot)fr> wrote:

> If you decided to drop JDK6 support going forward, that wouldn't cause the
> current JDK6-compatible PostgreSQL driver versions to be deleted, so no-one
> would be stuck. Even if new features are added to PostgreSQL (the database
> or the driver), the JDK6 JDBC API will remain constant and won't have any
> more or less features than before; there's probably enough expressivity in
> SQL and driver-specific classes to do pretty much anything anyway.
>
> These are just pros and cons to consider if you're thinking about this
> (I'm not recommending anything either way, especially as this tends to
> start flame wars). Personally, I wouldn't be shocked by such a choice
> given that PostgreSQL and the driver are open-source and that JDK6 has been
> EOL for a long time, and that as such, I understand there are limited
> resources for supporting all possible configurations.
>
> Anyway, like I said, even if there was a 9.5 or 9.6 version that was
> JDK7+, JDK6 users will still be able to use the 9.4 driver.
>

> On 18 June 2015 at 15:52, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> > even with source/target set to 1.6, "javac" will complain that (for
>> your pre-Java-8 drivers) you haven't implemented everything
>>
>> I see.
>> This indeed makes "step-by-step" compilation a good solution.
>>
>> We might want to drop JDK6 support to make it easier for us and for
>> the contributors (1 JDK less to install).
>>
>> Vladimir

Removing JDK 1.6 is not being contemplated at the moment. While many
"hackers" are keen to use the latest greatest features of Java N+1, there
is a VERY large population that still runs older JVM's for whatever reason.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread the focus of the driver is to provide
access to the all supported versions of PostgreSQL( and even older when
possible ) to Java users, not to provide the latest Java tools for
PostgreSQL.