Re: Local User Groups - advocacy

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Valeria Kaplan <vk(at)dataegret(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, usergroups(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Local User Groups - advocacy
Date: 2020-03-11 13:33:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks

On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 at 22:33, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> On 3/10/20 8:06 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Seems like a worthwhile attempt, worthy of trying out and seeing how it
> > goes
> > if nothing else. :)
> >
> > + Justin
> >

> > On 2020-03-03 21:24, Valeria Kaplan wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I think my email (below) fell between the cracks, but we still need to
> >> address the issue of not having any information about setting up and
> >> running meetups on postgres.org, so if there are no comments about the
> >> updated
> >> wiki page text
> >> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UserGroupOperatingManual>(see
> >> my email below) I'd suggest that myself and Johnathan (if you have time,
> >> Johnathan) finalise it and add it to the website to keep the ball
> >> rolling.
>
> Sorry, missed this during travel and forgot to circle back.
>
> Certainly +1 to moving it forward. I have a few content tweaks queued up
> to do, next week likely better to push a bunch of changes through to the
> website.
>
> I skimmed through the notes -- they look way more organized. I think it
> will be a very helpful resource!
>
> Jonathan

Valeria,

Great work! Thanks for doing this. I read through it and have some
possible edits.

1.
- Email the list pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org announcing that you
would like to create a user group in your area and note if need funds
setting up your meeting.com account.

Possibly change this to "if you need funds... "

Please consider your local specifics and popular platforms in your geography
.
change to "in your area"

it is successful if the focus is on its audience and the narrower your
focus is the better your meetup will run and the stronger community you
will create

It took me a bit to grok the sentence above. Does this work ?

To be successful, focus on the audience. The narrower your focus, the
better your meetup will run; resulting in a stronger community

Regards,

Dave