Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, Hiroshi Saito <hiroshi(at)winpg(dot)jp>, "Inoue,Hiroshi" <hinoue205(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-odbc(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items
Date: 2023-09-04 11:13:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks

On Sun, 3 Sept 2023 at 19:44, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 02, 2023 at 11:19:54AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Sept 2023 at 06:27, Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> wrote:
> >> Do you have a timeline for these? I can see that there are several
> >> people in the mailing list (not me) to step up the plate and help fix
> >> the issues. Would you consider moving project to Github, so that people
> >> can send PR and you can merge them, if you don't have time to fix them
> >> all?
> >
> > I'd certainly be a proponent of moving to github and helping out maintain
> > this.
>
> That would be like a big change, still if that helps in keeping the
> project more healthy than it is now, why not. From what I can see,
> this driver's development has been let aside.

This really isn't a big change. At least I don't see it that way. It makes
it much easier to create pull requests which are significantly easier to
manage than patch files.

> Saito-san and Inoue-san have done a good job over the years spending
> cycles on maintaining that. The question is who could actually take
> care of the basic maintenance of the driver? I do have a little bit
> of experience with the ODBC code base in the history of the project in
> the 2015~2017 area with its core code and the regression tests as
> VMware was relying heavily on it back these days. So I could handle a
> few of the compatibility changes to keep the thing able to build and
> pass the tests, but my experience feels kind of limited. Or it's just
> that everybody has zero experience with it and I'm one with the most
> experience :)

I had some experience looking at it, but would take some time to get up to
speed on this. Something I am willing to do. I'm sort of hoping this is
more of a maintenance thing than active development. I'm certainly willing
to pitch in.

Dave