Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks>
To: Stephan Doliov <stephan(dot)doliov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Date: 2023-06-09 15:19:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This is somewhat orthogonal to the topic of threading but relevant to the
use of resources.

If we are going to undertake some hard problems perhaps we should be
looking at other problems that solve other long term issues before we
commit to spending resources on changing the process model.

One thing I can think of is upgrading. AFAIK dump and restore is the only
way to change the on disk format.
Presuming that eventually we will be forced to change the on disk format it
would be nice to be able to do so in a manner which does not force long
down times

Dave