Distributed systems and primary keys

From: Melvin Call <melvincall979(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Distributed systems and primary keys
Date: 2013-07-12 14:23:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello list,

Can anyone point me to some reading material on how auto-generated sequence
primary keys are handled on distributed systems? I think the advice used to
be to use GUIDs, but I thought I read somewhere that PostgreSQL now assigns
a pool of numbers to each node when a sequence is implemented. I have
searched the PostgreSQL 9.1.5 Documentation, but apparently my search terms
are not quite what it takes, or dreamt that up.

Thanks,
Melvin