Re: BDR OR MASTER SLAVE REPLICATION WITH REPMGR IS SUITABLE FOR LARGE ONLINE APPLICATION

From: Rijo Roy <royvk6644(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: soumitra bhandary <soumitra(dot)bhandary(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: Prince Pathria <prince(dot)pathria(at)goevive(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BDR OR MASTER SLAVE REPLICATION WITH REPMGR IS SUITABLE FOR LARGE ONLINE APPLICATION
Date: 2019-04-12 02:12:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

BDR is best when you have a need of multi-master environment like a
distributed database paradigm where you have a need of writing/reading
to/from local masters let's say masters in NY, London, China, India etc..
And it uses pglogical to achieve this with a globally managed transaction
XID's. It needs to be properly tested how it handles conflicts in a heavy
oltp workload application.
If you only need high availability for a heavy oltp application, a well set
active passive model of streaking replication backed by repmgr where writes
are only hitting primary and reads on standby will help. Otherwise you can
also consider citusdata..

Note: I am not an advocate of any vendors, my comments are purely based on
my experience and I love Postgresql the way it is!

Regards,
Rijo Roy