Re: Very poor read performance, query independent

From: Charles Nadeau <charles(dot)nadeau(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: "pgsql-performa(dot)" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Very poor read performance, query independent
Date: 2017-07-15 16:12:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mark,

The server is a HP DL 380 G6. It doesn't really work with SATA drives. And
when you find one that is compatible, it is only used at 3Gb/s with a
maximum of 50000 IOPS (a well know caracteristic of the HP P410i SAS RAID
controller). I am looking at getting a Kingston Digital HyperX Predator
that I could use in one of the PCIe 2.0 x4 slot. However I am worried about
the "thermal runaway", i.e. when the server can't get a temperature reading
from a PCIe card, it spins the fans at full speed to protect the server
against high temperature. The machine being next to my desk I worry about
the deafening noise it will create.
Thanks!

Chales