postmaster utilization

From: Shiwangini Shishulkar <shiwangini(dot)shishulkar(at)webgility(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Prabodh Shenai <prabodhs(at)webgility(dot)com>
Subject: postmaster utilization
Date: 2019-08-19 10:40:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

We have scheduled postgres full backup on centos 7 machine. DB size is
around 66 GB. We observed while backup is running, postmaster CPU % reaches
to 90 - 100%,which results very strange behavior: that we are not able to
perform any DDL and DML on to the database during the time.
Please suggest a way to limit it's CPU utilization or else let us know how
we can access the database during the backup window. Please let us know on
priority since this is our prod database.
Get back to us in case of any query/detail.

Regards,
Shiwangini