Re: GROUP BY or alternative means to group

From: Bartosz Dmytrak <bdmytrak(at)eranet(dot)pl>
To: Alexander Reichstadt <lxr(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GROUP BY or alternative means to group
Date: 2012-03-12 20:57:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
You can use one of windowing function:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/tutorial-window.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/functions-window.html
this could be rank() in subquery or first_value(vale any), but there could
be performance issue

another solution could be boolean flag "default" in table address_reference
which should be unique for single company, I mean value true should be
unique - this could be reached by unique partial index on column*
*refid_companies
with condition default = true
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/indexes-partial.html#INDEXES-PARTIAL-EX3

hope Your pg version supports windowing functions (as I remember 8.4 and
above)

Of course there is a solution with subquery which finds min id in table
addresses of each refid_companies in table addresses_reference and this
subquery is joined with companies table, but I am afraid this is not the
best one.

Regards,
Bartek