Re: PostgreSQL limitations question

From: Bartosz Dmytrak <bdmytrak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL limitations question
Date: 2012-07-12 06:16:28
Lists: pgsql-general

2012/7/12 Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>

>> I suspect that's a pretty slow way to try to fill your DB up. You're
> doing individual INSERTs and possibly in individual transactions (unsure, I
> don't use PgAdmin); it's not going to be fast.

Try COPYing rows in using psql. I'd do it in batches via shell script loop
> myself. Alternately, you could use the COPY support of the DB drivers in
> perl or Python to do it.

this time it doesn't matter - agree COPY is better, this is only one time

> 3. do Vacuum full to be sure free space is removed
>> VACUUM FULL test.limits;
>>
> Which version of Pg are you running? If it's older than 9.0 you're
> possibly better off using "CLUSTER" instead of "VACUUM FULL".

I am sorry - 9.1.4

> Use pg_total_relation_size to include TOAST tables too.

it doesn't metter - conclusion is: table is growing. You are right, for
other purposes it should be better to check total size.

Regards,
Bartek