Re: Psycopg2 Windows packaging

From: Aleksi Häkli <aleksi(dot)hakli(at)vincit(dot)com>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Psycopg2 Windows packaging
Date: 2016-11-08 12:45:00
Lists: psycopg

Hello,

I was wondering about the psycopg2 Windows package. Is there any particular
reason the package is not distributed for Windows as a precompiled binary
through pip? I always install the precompiled executables by Stickpeople or
the precompiled wheels by Gohlke, and have never had the actual need to
install the package on any Windows platform from source (since it is so
tedious).

Would it not be easier for everybody to distribute the package via PyPI as
a pip installable pre compiled signed binary instead of the current source
format which mostly makes the package uninstallable on the platform?

I have ran into the installation issue about 5 years in row, developing
with both Windows and Linux, and write my own scripts to avert the issue,
but I think it causes unnecessary headaches for many junior developers. All
senior developers can probably compile the library themselves if need be.

Best regards,
Aleksi H.

--
Aleksi Häkli