Re: pgsql: make dist uses git archive

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: make dist uses git archive
Date: 2024-03-25 22:20:06
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 5:22 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 8:30 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 25.03.24 10:04, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> > This seems to have broken buildfarm member guaibasaurus, which I
>> believe
>> > is the only one that runs "make dist" as part of the buildfarm. And as
>> > result,t hat breaks the snapshot build uploads.
>> >
>> > I don't know exactly how it does it, it appears to not run from within
>> > the git repository. It might be this needs an update to the buildfarm
>> > code itself to handle this path? I haven't dug into how that code does
>> > the make dist part (thus cc:ing in Andrew as well).
>>
>> I don't see any code for this in the client-code git repository. So
>> maybe it is a local custom module?
>>

> Huh, it seems you're right. I didn't realize that :) We received that
> module from Andrew back in Nov 2011, but I guess it was never committed to
> the repo (assuming that was the intention) :) But it has served us well so
> far...

I can add it to the repo. I'll look at adding a sanity test.

> PFA the module. It's pretty simple, but I don't know enough (anything,
> really) about the bf client code to say how to fix it...

The problem occurs because except in vpath mode the buildfarm operates on a
copy of the code, and for efficiency reasons we don't copy the ,git
directory.

The simplest fix is probably to change the machine's config to use a vpath
build.

In the config file change the undef here to a 1:

'use_vpath' => undef,

That worked for me in a quick test.

cheers

andrew