Re: Largest & Smallest Functions

From: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk
Subject: Re: Largest & Smallest Functions
Date: 2018-11-08 06:32:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:10 PM Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
wrote:

> But you don't need to create more functions, because you can do this:
>
> select largest(variadic array[1,2,3]);
> largest
> ---------
> 3
>

> As already pointed out, greatest() and least() exist (though they were
> added before VARIADIC was, so they don't use it)

Yeah, I get that my four functions can collapse down to 2. I was just
trying to say that if the greatest() and least() expressions did use
VARIADIC, that would collapse down to 0 additional functions. :)

> Ken> 3) Bonus question--how come all the existing _larger and _smaller
> Ken> functions are specific to each data type, as opposed to more
> Ken> general smaller/larger functions?
>
> Because it saves looking up the type comparison function and doing an
> indirect call.
>
> That makes sense--thanks for the explanation!

Cheers,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system

Subscribe to the mailing list
<agency-general-request(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net?body=subscribe> to
learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.