Re: Suppress decimal point like digits in to_char?

From: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Suppress decimal point like digits in to_char?
Date: 2016-03-14 01:37:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mar 13, 2016 6:29 PM, "David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Sunday, March 13, 2016, Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi. Is there a way with to_char to suppress a decimal point, like a
leading or trailing 0, so that integers will not have them, but non-ints
will? I'm hoping I'm missing something easy. Thanks.

>> Ken
>>
>> SELECT val,to_char(val::decimal(6,2),'FM999,999D99') FROM
>> ( SELECT 1 AS val UNION SELECT 1.05 AS val) foo;
>>
>> val | to_char
>> ------+---------
>> 1 | 1.
>> 1.05 | 1.05
>>

> Not seeing a native way to do so - and I'd question doing so as a general
rule - though you know your domain. If you must have this you will want to
utilize regexp_replace to identify the situation and replace it. A simple
"\.$" check and a substring would work also.

> David J.

Thanks David. Just curious what part of this you would question. The case
for numbers, currency in particular, coming out with a decimal and pennies
when present, and as whole dollars when not (and without a decimal place at
the end) seems pretty common and clear cut. What am I missing in your
question?

Cheers,
Ken