Re: pg_config problems on PG9.3/Centos?

From: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_config problems on PG9.3/Centos?
Date: 2014-01-21 22:15:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> IIRC, most of the paths shown here are actually computed relative to the
> >> location of the pg_config executable, so I could imagine getting this
> >> kind of result if you'd done something like symlinking pg_config into
> >> /usr/bin.
>
> > Oddly, there was a pg_config in /usr/bin that was not a symlink and not
> > owned by any package. I'm really puzzled as to how it got there, but I
> > removed it, and symlinked the one from /usr/pgsql-9.3/bin. It puts out
> > better information.
>
> OK.
>
> > It also sounds like from your comment that symlinking to /usr/bin is
> > frowned upon. What is the better way to deal with this?
>
> I had forgotten the details, but if pg_config is giving you the right
> answers then it must know about following the symlink. So nevermind
> that worry.

I'm happy not to mind, but it seems like everything else just works "out of
the box," so I wonder why not this little piece?

> > So with the pg_config thing resolved, my make now get stuck on the error
> I'> below. I found a BSD bug report with the same message from 9.2,
> although I
> > was able to successfully compile for 9.2 previously. I'm wondering if
> > anyone seems something obvious or simple that could be causing this or
> > could be fixed. I know the table_log packages are kind of ancient, but
> > they do the trick!
>
> > table_log.c: In function ‘table_log’:
> > table_log.c:134: warning: implicit declaration of function
> > ‘RelationGetNamespace’
> > table_log.c:140: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> > table_log.c: In function ‘__table_log’:
> > table_log.c:301: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> > table_log.c:310: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> > table_log.c:312: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> > table_log.c:346: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> > table_log.c:354: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> > table_log.c:373: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> > table_log.c:381: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> > table_log.c: In function ‘table_log_restore_table’:
> > table_log.c:794: error: ‘timestamptz_out’ undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > table_log.c:794: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > table_log.c:794: error: for each function it appears in.)
> > make: *** [table_log.o] Error 1
>
> It looks like the code is missing some #include's. You at least
> need utils/rel.h for RelationGetNamespace and utils/timestamp.h
> for timestamptz_out. Can't tell from this what typedef is missing
> but it's possible adding those will fix it; if not you'll need to
> look at the complained-of lines and then grep the Postgres include
> files to see which one provides it.
>
> We occasionally add or remove header inclusions of other headers,
> which probably explains why this code compiled on older versions
> but not 9.3.
>
> regards, tom lane

Adding those two includes did the trick--thanks!

Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A data system that puts you in control

Subscribe to the mailing
list<agency-general-request(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net?body=subscribe>
learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.