Re: Question(s) about crosstab

From: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Question(s) about crosstab
Date: 2013-12-18 05:42:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM, David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> 3) Limitation of SQL - explained below:
>
> The function call string that you pass in is just that, a string, the SQL
> construct within which it resides has no knowledge of its contents.
>
> SQL has the hard requirement that at the time you submit a query all
> columns
> must be known. If a function is polymorphic (in the sense it can output
> different columns/row-types) then when you call that function you must
> indicate which columns (and types) are going to be output by the function
> during this specific execution.

I guess crosstabs were not all that I hoped they were (basically pivot
tables), but thanks for the clear explanation.

Cheers,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A data system that puts you in control

Subscribe to the mailing
list<agency-general-request(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net?body=subscribe>
learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.