Re: Leaky Perl / DBIx / Postgres 9.0.1 Trio

From: Eliot Gable <egable+pgsql-general(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Molesworth <tom(at)audioboundary(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Leaky Perl / DBIx / Postgres 9.0.1 Trio
Date: 2012-04-04 18:34:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Tom Molesworth <tom(at)audioboundary(dot)com>wrote:

> I believe DBIx is more of a namespace than a specific module - do you mean
> DBIx::Class or DBI perhaps? If the former, the IRC channel #dbix-class on
> irc.perl.org tends to be very helpful in tracing problems like this,
> particularly if you can provide a reproducible test case.

It is using DBIx::Class. I will check on the IRC channel, too; thanks.

> On the Perl side, Devel::Size and possible Test::MemoryGrowth may be of
> some use in tracing where the memory is going. Does the memory usage hit a
> ceiling at any point, or does it carry on until all virtual memory is
> exhausted? You could try running the postgres and perl daemons with lower
> ulimit -m / ulimit -v settings if the increase in memory is too slow to
> test this in a reasonable timeframe.

The memory usage eventually exhausts all virtual memory on the system.

> Other than that, maybe try looking for statement handles that aren't
> closed or long-running transactions?

I checked for long running transactions, but did not find any. Is there a
way in Postgres to check for unclosed statement handles? If such a method
exists, it would be far easier than looking through the DBIx::Class code
for unclosed statement handles.

Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Eliot Gable