Re: Load a csv or a avro?

From: sud <suds1434(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kashif Zeeshan <kashi(dot)zeeshan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Load a csv or a avro?
Date: 2024-07-06 20:02:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jul 5, 2024 at 3:27 PM Kashif Zeeshan <kashi(dot)zeeshan(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> There are different data formats available, following are few points for
> there performance implications
>
> 1. CSV : It's easy to use and widely supported but it can be slower due to
> parsing overload.
> 2. Binary : Its faster to load but not human understandable.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards
> Kashif Zeeshan

My understanding was that it will be faster to load .csv as it is
already being mapped to table rows and columns whereas in case of .avro the
mapping has to be done so that the fields in the avro can be mapped to the
columns in the table appropriately and that will be having additional
overhead. Is my understanding correct?