When should I start and setup a slave replication?

From: Tomer Praizler <tomer(dot)praizler(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: When should I start and setup a slave replication?
Date: 2018-02-04 20:47:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hey!

I currently have one Postgres server running on an ec2 instance 32GB, and 8
cores. My DB is under a heavy load and sometimes queries might get super
slow.
I guess it is doing too much and has many access patterns which don't let
it optimize correctly.

I wonder if introducing a slave replication (making all reads going to the
slave, and writes to the master) will make my setup more performant.
Are there any good metrics to measure before making such decision? I really
want to be able to see the improvement in case I decide to go with setting
a replication.

Thanks!