RAM usage of PostgreSql

From: Prasad <prasadnine(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RAM usage of PostgreSql
Date: 2019-04-04 14:48:01
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-performance

Hi,

I have installed PostgreSQL 9.4 (open source) version on my CentOS Linux
Red Hat 7 production server and kept default parameters which are in
postgresql.conf file.So my basic question is, once I start using postgres
how much RAM the postgres processes consumes (postgres related processes
only).

There are lot of allocations in postgresql.conf file, for example
shared_buffers, work_mem...etc.

As per my knowledge, all postgres processes should not consume the RAM more
than the value assigned in shared_buffers.Please clarify and let me know if
I misunderstand the concept..

--
Thanks,
Venkata Prasad