Re: pg_dumpall renders ALTER TABLE for a view?

From: Michel Pelletier <pelletier(dot)michel(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall renders ALTER TABLE for a view?
Date: 2022-12-15 17:31:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 9:15 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Michel Pelletier <pelletier(dot)michel(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I get that this is synonymous in most cases, except when there is an
> event
> > trigger for `ALTER TABLE`, it ends up firing the event trigger for the
> > views, and any event triggers expected to fire on `ALTER VIEW` statements
> > do not fire.
>
> > Is this something we can contribute a fix for, or is this some kind of
> > necessary b/w compat issue that must remain?
>
> We're not likely to change the fact that you're allowed to write ALTER
> TABLE for this, so if your event triggers get broken by doing that
> you'd best fix the event triggers.

For sure, and we're working on fixing the triggers, I should have been more
clear that I'm not suggesting any changes to the server behavior, just to
the dump/restore process.

> I don't have any great objection to making pg_dump emit the more modern
> spelling (I think ... you'd need to look into pg_restore to make sure
> it's not assuming something in this area). But doing that won't
> really remove the hazard.

Agree it won't remove the hazard, but should reduce the kind of collateral
damage we encountered. Will examine pg_restore as you suggested to scope
the work better.

Thank you!

-Michel